Emerald 5 megapixel
Teledyne e2v, a Teledyne Technologies [NYSE: TDY] company and global innovator of vision solutions, announces the expansion of its Emerald family of CMOS image sensors with a new 5 Megapixel device.
The EmeraldTM 5M is designed for machine vision, Automated Optical Inspection (AOI), and factory automation applications that require higher resolution images of objects in motion, with no distortion. Available in both monochrome and color, this sensor has a small 1/1.8 inch optical format, containing a 2.8 μm, low-noise, global shutter pixel, and arranged in a 2,560 x 1,936 array. The device can also stream video at 50 fps at 10 bits, over a 4 wire, MIPI CSI-2 interface.
Emerald 5M is designed to enable fast, wide-range operation and includes powerful unique patented features and region of interest modes. The sensor is optimized for machine vision applications and includes 5° Chief Ray Angle compensation and is offered in a ruggedized cLGA® package or miniaturized organic fan-out package that is only 1.19 mm thick.
The Emerald 5M also provides flexibility to R&D engineers with its global shutter and MIPI CSI-2 interface, which allows it to utilize the latest Image Signal Processors (ISP) available for mobile applications. The sensor’s embedded digital functionalities (multi region of interest, subsampling, auto exposure at first frame, single frame HDR and on-chip statistics) help reduce processor load and hasten time-to-market.
Global shutter CMOS pixel (2.8 μm x 2.8 μm)
- 1/1.8” optical format
- MIPI CSI-2 interface, up to 4 wires
- Package options: CLGA or fan-out organic package
- Color Filter Array options: monochrome or color Bayer
- On-chip functionalities: multi ROI, subsampling, single frame exposure, single frame HDR
This latest 5 Megapixel device is a member of the expanding Emerald family of sensors, which are now available in resolutions of 2, 8.9, 12, 16, and 67 Megapixels.
Teledyne e2v has also released a 5 megapixel version of its Snappy family of image sensors. The Snappy 5M is designed for barcode reading, 2D scanning and other demanding applications. Available in both monochrome and color, the Snappy 5M has a small 1/1.8 inch optical format, containing a 2.8μm, low-noise, global shutter pixel, and arranged in a 2,560 x 1,936 array. The device can stream video at ~50fps at 10 bits over a 4 wire, MIPI CSI-2 interface, and is housed in a small compact fan-out organic package.
Snappy 5M is designed to enable fast, extended range scanning and includes powerful unique patented features and region of interest modes:
- A Fast Self Exposure (FSE) mode automatically calculates the optimum integration time that is applied to the first image from the device. The mode is user programmable and provides continuous fast decoding, tolerating any kind of lighting or dynamic lighting environment. This is advantageous compared with conventional auto exposure methods, improving convergence speed and robustness.
- A Smart ROI feature searches for barcodes in the image frame, and reports their locations as metadata in the image footer. The regions of the image containing barcodes are discerned from the background image to considerably reduce downstream image processing (FPGA/CPU/DSP) power, time and cost. Up to 16 different regions can be detected simultaneously. Other forms of repetitive signatures such as printed character strings can also be detected for document scanning and OCR applications.
The Snappy family of sensors enable a number of applications including embedded industrial imaging systems, drones/UAVs, IoT edge devices, intelligent surveillance cameras and augmented reality/virtual reality.
This latest 5 Megapixel device is a member of the expanding Snappy family of sensors. The sensors have identical software and hardware requirements, which bring further cost savings by enabling a complete range of scanners/cameras at different resolutions from a single system design effort.